Coding Specialist | Sample Job Description
If you are an employer seeking qualified job seekers for your Coding Specialist position, read our sample job description below and revise it to meet your company's specific job duties and requirements. If you are a job seeker looking for a Coding Specialist position, use our sample job description below to see what job skills and experiences employers are seeking.
The Coding Specialist has knowledge of third party billing procedures across a variety of payer systems and has specific expertise in ICD-9, CPT-4 and HCPCS coding in a general medical practice environment. He or she will also have knowledge of E&M coding and can conduct chart reviews using the 1995 and 1997 E&M Guidelines. The primary responsibility is helping the billing staff establish the medical necessity of charges, providing feedback to the clinical staff on coding issues and reviewing denials based on medical necessity.
- Assists the Finance Department in setting fee schedules, reviewing RVU’s (Relative Value Units) and pricing.
- Assist with reviews of billing from reference labs and other sources.
Keep current with coding changes and communicate all changes to staff
- Assists in reviewing billing from reference labs and other sources
- Instructs and updates doctors with coding procedures and changes.
- Acting as a resource for staff who have questions about coding
- Writing a quarterly coding Newsletter for the physicians and staff
- Coordinate chart audits and provide feedback to the doctors and Finance Department
- Training Patient Accounts staff on basic coding principles.
- Training the Coding staff on basic and advanced coding principles.
- Must be able to do data entry, use Internet, and use other applicable applications
< Back to Job Descriptions Library
Featured Accounting Schools
BS Accounting, BS Business/Accounting, MBA Accounting, MS Accountancy
AA Accounting, BS Business Administration
BS Accounting, MS Accounting