Director of Purchasing | Sample Job Description 2
If you are an employer seeking qualified job seekers for your Director of Purchasing position, read our sample job description below and revise it to meet your company's specific job duties and requirements. If you are a job seeker looking for a Director of Purchasing position, use our sample job description below to see what job skills and experiences employers are seeking.
Director of Purchasing
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Managing and mentoring a dynamic team of purchasing professionals.
- Establishing and maintaining measurable performance metrics for all levels of procurement activities to include but not limited to supplier performance, supplier quality, internal order placement performance, buyer activity levels, financial (AP) performance, and material shortage elimination.
- Report to management the measurable status of progress and corrective actions as it pertains to supplier performance.
- Ensure performance improvement and recovery plans are developed, issued, tracked and reported on as required for supply base management and improvement.
- Negotiate and execute purchase orders or vendor contracts as needed to support the critical business needs.
- Manage material flow to insure inventory is maintained to the optimum level to support on time customer deliveries while keeping inventory holdings at the appropriate levels.
- Strategically develop and implement commodity/supply chain strategies covering all commodities, services and supplier processes throughout a global enterprise to deliver maximum value, leverage, and standardization.
- Lead a global enterprise organization within the scope of the strategic sourcing process to drive cost out of the supply chain by managing the following: Commodity and negotiation strategies including Terms and Conditions Supplier selection/de-selection, evaluation and rationalization of Supply chain solutions, including vendor managed inventory (VMI), supplier consignment, safety stock levels, etc.
- Leads product development commodity strategies in line with corporate initiatives to improve supply chain efficiencies and reduce the total cost of supply chain management.
- Drives usage of cost models to validate commodity strategies and to understand significant cost drivers.
- Manages all activities that develop relationships with suppliers.
- Develops an overall vendor base which creates and sustains a competitive advantage, utilizing global market exploitation, leveraging spend, and leveraging of technologies.
- Provides commodity support to New Program Teams as required to meet target costs and establish program cost models.
- Manages materials savings initiatives in line with profit plan and overall business objectives.
- 7-10 years progressive experience in Purchasing & Sourcing with extensive experience in the manufacturing industry, preferably in a strategic setting in a mid to large size organization.
- 2 -4 years most recent experience related to Health & Beauty or Cosmetic industry.
- Good understanding of packaging components and associated commodities.
Solid track record meeting substantial material cost reduction targets
- Bachelor’s degree in Purchasing, Production/Operations Management, or Engineering or equivalent business experience.
- NAPM (A.P.P. C.P.M.) or APICS (CPIM, CIRM) certification preferred
- Strong computer skills, ideally with experience using Windows-based PC programs.
- Ability to coordinate multiple group efforts within the company to achieve objectives.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent organizational and problem solving skills.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks, with awareness of deadlines.
- Ability to identify processes needing improvement, and to recommend improvements.
< Back to Job Descriptions Library
Featured Accounting Schools
BS Accounting, BS Business/Accounting, MBA Accounting, MS Accountancy
AA Accounting, BS Business Administration
BS Accounting, MS Accounting