AJT | Controller Job Description
Responsible for all accounting and financial functions.
Primary responsibilities include supervision of the monthly close process, monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements, billing reimbursements, collection and accuracy of accounts receivable, supervising accounts payable, payroll, assist with annual preparation of budgets, assist in the preparation of quarterly tax projections and annual tax return preparation.
The Controller will also be part of a team that creates and implements policies and procedures to identify, resolve and document accounting issues in addition to creating procedures to make the close and reporting processes more efficient and accurate.
- Preparation of workpapers supporting the annual tax return and annual financial statement audits
- Coordinate the preparation of annual tax returns and annual financial statement audits
- Implement a process to record transactions by department and compare costs incurred to budget and performance analysis of profit centers
- Preparation and recordation of journal entries required to accurately reflect the monthly activity
- Preparation of workpapers supporting the monthly close process and month end balances
- Review monthly accounting close process including analytical review of the monthly operating results to ensure accurate accounting records are maintained
- Preparation of monthly financial statements and related footnotes
Monitor and reconcile inter-company accounts receivable and payable Preparation of the year to date cash flow
- Perform cash projections to effectively manage cash balances and maximize the return on any excess cash balances
- Recording of semi-monthly payroll
- Supervise the billing of asset management, incentive fees, acquisition, disposition, QPAM and other fees monthly, quarterly, annually in accordance with the respective agreements
- Record investments made in Funds, securities, overnight funds, etc.
- Maintenance of fixed asset records
- Implement, document and maintain adequate and effective internal controls
- Implement, document and maintain adequate and effective processes to improve the close and reporting cycles to ensure timely and accurate reporting
- Responsible for ensuring compliance with all applicable laws, rules, and regulations
- Any other responsibilities that may be assigned from time to time.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelors and/or Masters Degree in Business Administration with an emphasis in accounting. The degree should be obtained from a well recognized university.
- C.P.A. is preferred but not required.
- Accounting education and recent related accounting experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience preferred.
JOB KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Working knowledge of general ledger accounting, accounts receivable and accounts payable functions using current accounting software products, Yardi, Word and Excel
- Must be able to write reports and business correspondence.
- Must be able to communicate effectively with coworkers and internal and external customers.
- Must have excellent organizational and administrative skills.
- Must understand the confidentiality and ethical standards of a CPA
- Ability to handle payroll including the inherent conflicts that are associated with this responsibility
- Conscientious about timeliness of assignments and quality of work product
- Accountable for specific performance
- Able to handle multiple tasks and maintain control and order over same
- Good GAAP and financial reporting technical skills
- Exceptional work ethic.
< Back to Job Descriptions Library
Featured Accounting Schools
BS Accounting, BS Business/Accounting, MBA Accounting, MS Accountancy
AA Accounting, BS Business Administration
BS Accounting, MS Accounting